Disclaimer: Is this really necessary? I just borrowed them for a little while! I'll bring them back, Paramount...I PROMISE!

 

Missed Opportunities - Part 2

"I can't believe she said yes!"

"It certainly took them long enough, " Neelix commented as he mingled amongst the crowd gathered at the reception. "It's nice to see two people so happy and so in love, don't you think, Commander?"

Chakotay said nothing. But he did agree with Neelix. It was nice to see someone find the one they loved. Tom and B'Elanna had had such a rocky relationship while on Voyager, but in the end, they had found some way to work through their differences. And Tom had finally gotten up enough courage to ask B'Elanna to be his wife.

He took another sip of his champagne while he watched the crowds of people giving their best wishes to the newlyweds. A frown crept up on his face. He wanted to be in their shoes. To have people wishing him well on *his* wedding day. To have the woman that he loved standing by his side as his wife. To have *her*...

"Is something wrong, Chakotay?" Nadia asked, taking a hold of his arm.

Chakotay shook away his deep thoughts. He smiled down at her.

"I'm fine. I just...feel like a father who has just married off his only daughter."

Nadia laughed. "Come on, Chakotay. You're not THAT old, are you?"

"And just how old do you think I am?" he smarted, laughing along with her. He glanced back over at Tom and B'Elanna, and couldn't believe his eyes. She was there! Kathryn had actually come to the wedding! And she was alone...

Kathryn arrived too late to witness the vows, but was just in time to hear them pronounced husband and wife. It was so sweet and beautiful. Kathryn had thought many times about how her wedding day would be...she had come so close to getting married. But things had never worked out. Perhaps she wasn't meant to be married. Or perhaps, she wasn't meant to be married to *them*...

"Captain! You made it!" B'Elanna exclaimed, as Kathryn made her way through the crowd.

"Please, I'm no longer your captain. Kathryn will do just fine," she replied, giving her former chief engineer a big hug. "Congratulations! I see you finally got your man!"

"Well, it took a lot of work," B'Elanna said, grinning from ear to ear.

Tom laughed. "Yeah, a lot of work for me! She reduced me to begging!" Kathryn giggled at his remark as she hugged him.

"It's just like a Voyager reunion today. Seems like everyone is here...even Chakotay showed up," B'Elanna commented, cutting her eyes in Chakotay's direction.

Kathryn's eyes widened at the thought, and she turned around to see him. It had been two months since the gala. Since her heart was broken when she could not find him, to tell him how she felt. Maybe it would be another great opportunity...

There he was. Laughing. Having a great time. With another woman. Kathryn felt a lump growing in her throat. He was moving on. But deep down, she was happy for him. He deserved someone who could make him happy. Someone whom he could trust.

Kathryn just wanted that person to have been her.

She turned back around to Tom and B'Elanna. She needed a quick escape. She didn't want to have to face Chakotay now. She wasn't even sure she could.

"Congratulations again. I'll let you two get back to your other guests. Maybe we can all get together again soon," Kathryn said, moving away from them.

"Captain, are you alright?" Tom asked, concern showing on his face. She didn't hear him. Kathryn had already walked away. And she wasn't going in Chakotay's direction.

"I wonder what got into her?" he questioned, as he noticed Chakotay moving towards them, his date following close behind.

"Where did she go?" Chakotay asked, frantically scanning the crowd.

"I don't know. All I said was that it seemed like a Voyager reunion, and she bolted," B'Elanna responded.

"Damn it! How could she disappear so quickly?" He was truly frustrated, having missed another opportunity to talk to Kathryn. Another chance to tell her his feelings.

"Don't stress yourself, Chakotay. Harry seems to be meeting a lot of young ladies here today. Maybe, sometime soon, there will be another Voyager wedding. I'm sure she'll be there for you to talk to," Tom said, lightheartedly. B'Elanna punched him in the arm really hard.

"Hey, it was just a joke!" he yelped, rubbing his arm. They both turned their attention back to Chakotay, who was obviously not listening to them. But there was a mysterious and suspicious look in his eyes.

"Nadia, I haven't introduced you to everyone yet. Come with me," he finally said, taking her arm in his and leading her off. She waved good-bye to Tom and B'Elanna.

As soon as they were out of earshot, B'Elanna looked at Tom and said, "He's up to something! I know that look!"

"Well, let's forget about him for now. How about we go and try out that *interesting* looking cake that Neelix so generously baked for us?"

"Don't laugh, Tom! It was very thoughtful of him," she answered, trying not to laugh herself.

"B'Elanna, it's PURPLE!" They both broke into giggles as they made their way back into the crowd.

[ Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 ]
[ J/C Fanfiction | Voyager | Homepage ]
Feedback
get this gear!