Disclaimer: The characters belong to Paramount, though I doubt they are very appreciative of my attempt to create karaoke singers out of them!

 

Karaoke Night At Sandrine's - Part 3

"If Tuvok hadn't interrupted, I really don't know what would have developed..." Kathryn trailed off, staring down at her half-empty coffee mug.

"Don't you?" B'Elanna asked, watching her Captain intently. Kathryn shot a glare in her direction. B'Elanna continued. "Chakotay has done a pretty pathetic job of hiding his feelings for you. You've done a little better, but not much. It's obvious to the crew that you two care deeply for each other. Don't you think it's time that you both admitted it to yourselves?"

Kathryn stared at her, tears forming in her eyes. She began to bite at her lower lip as she began to nod her head. "I...love him, B'Elanna. I truly love him. But I don't know how to...or even if I should...tell him. What about Starfleet..."

"Forget Starfleet! They can't put rules on how people feel. It's just not possible!"

Kathryn was crying freely now. It felt good to finally tell someone besides the official personal logs. "But what do I do? How can I show him?"

"Well, it shouldn't be too hard after what he did last night," B'Elanna said as she grinned. "But don't worry about that. I have the perfect plan! And we only have a few hours to get ready!"

"Welcome back for Night Two, the final night of our Karaoke Contest. Tonight, we will hear what the ladies can do. Will they defeat the men's team? Let's find out!"

B'Elanna came out, providing a rousing rendition of "I Will Survive". This time, it was Tom and Chakotay who were laughing and commenting on each performance.

During the Delaney Sisters version of "It's Raining Men", Chakotay asked, "I wonder where the Captain is. I'm sure she doesn't want to miss Samantha and Naomi's number."

"Maybe something came up. You know the Captain," Tom replied, trying to hide his smile. B'Elanna had long since joined them at their table, and she, too, was having trouble containing her grins.

Finally, the ladies' team had finished their performances. "I guess we get to vote now --" Chakotay started as he was cut off by Neelix.

"And now, for the final performance of the evening..."

Chakotay looked back down at the roster. He didn't see any other names on the list. The only person he could think of...

"Put your hands together for Kathryn Janeway!!"

Anyone could have pushed Chakotay over with a feather at the announcement of her name as the final performer. The look on his face spoke volumes at his surprise. "Wha-...how...?" he stuttered as she walked out onto the stage. His mouth dropped open at the sight.

Kathryn was dressed in a short emerald sequin dress...a very tight dress, Chakotay noticed. Her hair was pulled up into a French twist, with soft tendrils of hair surrounding her face. She was a vision of loveliness. Taking the microphone, she began to sway seductively with the music. Whistles emanated through the room as she began to sing.

You're a no good heartbreaker
You're a liar, you're a cheat
I don't know why
I let you do these things to me

My friends keep tellin' me
You ain't no good
Baby, they don't know
That I'd leave you if I could

I guess I'm uptight
And I'm stuck like glue
Cause I ain't never, I ain't never
I ain't never, no no
Loved a man, the way that I, I love you

As Kathryn sung that line, she made direct eye contact with Chakotay, winking as she did so. His mouth was still gaped open at the display as she continued.

Some time ago I thought
You'd run out of fools
I was so wrong
You got one that you'll never lose

The way you treat me is a shame
How could ya hurt me so bad?
Baby, don't you know that I'm the best thing
You ever had

Kiss me once again
Don't ya never, never say that we're through
Cause I ain't never, never, never no no
Loved a man, the way that I, I love you

Oh, I can't sleep at night, I can't eat a bite
Guess I'll never be free
Since you got your hooks in me
Whoa, whoa, whoa

I ain't never loved a man
I ain't never loved a man, baby ---

The music began to fade, but it was drowned out by an immense roar from the audience. Kathryn took her bows, smiling madly. Neelix ran out to meet her. "I guess it's clear who won *this* contest!" Kathryn acknowledged his comment, then stepped down from the stage. She accepted a few congratulatory handshakes from crew members as she passed, but her target was clear.

Kathryn stopped directly in front of Chakotay, looking deep into his eyes. He looked back, not sure what to say. She gave him a big smile.

"How about we give this another try?" she asked, resting her hands on his chest.

"I'm willing if you are," he answered, pulling her up into a passionate kiss. The level of applause stepped up another notch at their tender display of affection.

Tom wrapped his arm around B'Elanna's shoulder, pulling her close.

"Looks like our work here is done," he said, leaning his head against hers.

B'Elanna began to laugh "Yep...and all it took was a little karaoke!"

[ Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 ]
[ J/C Fanfiction | Voyager | Homepage ]
Enjoy this story?
get this gear!